Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Penny & I had Advanced Basic class tonight. I was surprised so many people came because it was 2 degrees!! I HATE this cold!

I had cooked up a fresh batch of my special "Training Trail Mix" (liver, round steak, lowfat hotdogs, some premium kibble, Natural Balance food roll & some soft Simon & Huey PB treats) before we went and pulled some liver brownies and homemade peanut butter cookies out of the freezer. Off to class we went.

Penny's Heeling & Attention were stellar. We proofed some Stays and I'm happy to report her Stand Stay is improving. She is having some issues being examined (she likes Ruth & wiggles when she comes near her).

I realized tonight in class tonight that a lot of Penny's "problems" are my fault! Yes, I know...hard to believe. On the Figure Eights, I tend to drop my shoulder back causing Penny to lag. My hand signal on the Swing Finish is not very clear and is confusing her. Ruth took Penny to demo the Swing & of course, Penny did it perfectly for her. So I need to practice my form in the mirror and maybe have Scotty record us to see what I'm doing wrong.

4 comments:

Simba and Jazzi said...

Its always the humans fault, us dogs are prefect.

Simba xx

Kathy Struve said...

Hi Penny - It's me, Gidget with the poopies from Texas. Just so you'll know, it's COLD here too. But Mom is keeping us safe and warm. No more outside dog for me. Thank you for your donation to help me and my babies. You guys are AWESOME! Stay warm!

Jan said...

It's always a little embarrassing for me to realize that the performance my dogs and I give would be better if I were better. But dogs are so patient with humans, thank heavens.
Jan from http://thepoodleanddogblog.typepad.com/

Ferndoggle said...

Yes Simba...it's almost always the humans fault!

Kathy - you are more than welcome. Thank Cubby! He's the one who brought the pups to our attention (and Penny secretly wants him to be her boyfriend!) Wish we could do more to help the Texas babies! Unfortunately, we've got Boxers in need in PA too :o(.

Jan - I've been blessed with very forgiving dogs! And trainers who aren't afraid to tell me that *I'm* the problem LOL! It's quite humbling!

Thanks to everyone for stopping by!

Ferndoggle & The Dogs