Monday, December 25, 2006
The Dogs had a great Xmas...lots of presents and they're ready to get back to a normal life. All this hub bub stresses them out.
But here a couple of pics from Xmas past...
Lola opening her very first presents
Sherman hoarding his stash...
Penny begging me to get these stupid antlers off her head!...
Saturday, December 23, 2006
Friday, December 22, 2006
"I love ice cubes...but the plastic trays are way better! Cool! (no punn intended)."
"Ahhhhh, this feels good! Screw the actual ice cubes. The tray is way less messy!"
"Wait a minute...so Dad, you're telling me I'm not supposed to chew on this? Are you kidding me?"
"Mom, I swear...Dad said it was Cool to chew the Ice Cube tray. Do I get points for my Froggie pose?
Thursday, December 21, 2006
I settled all the dogs in with some marrow bones. Sherman is tethered when I can't watch him 100% because he's a resource guarder and will also take whatever he wants from the girls.
Everyone has to "chew" on their towel. Sherman is really good about staying on his towel and when I say "get on your towel!" if he's inching toward the outside, he gives a Grrrump! And moves his butt onto the towel. Lola likes to drag her bone all over the place & it makes me nuts. Marrow bones are gross! So tonight she takes her bone into the bedroom and starts chewing on the rug. I say "Lola, go get on your towel" and turn to get a kleenex to pick the icky thing up & direct her where I want her to be. When I turn around, she is carrying her bone back to her towel! No way!
I tested her again when the bone was about 1/2 inch away from the edge of the towel. Again, when I asked, she picked up the bone & moved it to the center of the towel. What a good girl!
"Marrow bones are yummy!!"
Wednesday, December 20, 2006
Apparently Scotty decided to snap a shot of me (and Lola) sleeping. Very sneaky Mister. I found this on the digital camera. I guess if this is the worst picture I find on our digital camera...I'm in good shape.
And this is what I did at work today...well not all day. It only took me 5 minutes.
Everybody's doing it...I know.
Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Monday, December 18, 2006
Sunday, December 17, 2006
And a big Yellow ID tag that says "I'm a therapy dog". She wears it well.
We're offically certified to do Therapy visits now! We'll be doing a reading program at the Shaler Library once a month (set up by the WPHS) and going to my Mom's school in the Spring! Yippeee!
Saturday, December 16, 2006
"Mom is making all of that up...I don't know what she's talking about".
Scotty went to a friend's to watch football and we stayed home & watched a movie. Sherman & Penny got very snuggly on the couch (which is rare, but very cute!)
Friday, December 15, 2006
I've got three dogs...with 3 sets of Xmas wishes. So bear with us!
3 things Sherman would love to get for X’mas:
3. My purple treat machine...stuffed with food.
3 things he does not want to get:
1. another puppy (I'm still pissed about the White one)
2. a bath...unless we can skip right to the drying off part. I love that.
3. a walk w/ Penny...I much prefer to fly solo on my fun Flexi leash
3 things Penny would love to get for X’mas:
1. Pig Ears...duh
2. Mommy's Liver Brownies
3. To play with my new boyfriend Cowboy (talk about sexual frustration!)
3 things she does not want to get:
1. My ears cleaned
2. My feet sprinkled with that Tea Tree Stuff
3. My people watching football...too much yelling!
3 things Lola would love to get for X’mas:
1. Another Rooster!!!!!! Puh-lease????
2. More of Mommy's hair bands...with lots of hair to eat
3. Bully Sticks!!
3 things she does not want to get:
1. NO swimming
2. To have to watch other doggies & not be able to play with them (no fair!!)
3. Stop looking at my funny teeth!!!
We'll be tagging some unsuspecting bloggers tomorrow. But in the meantime:
The offical card
Thursday, December 14, 2006
My initial thought that Lola was frustrated rather than "feisty" was confirmed when treats just weren't working for one of the dogs in class. A braided rope tug toy was a much better reward for the little Scottie & the sight of him playing w/o her was too much for Lola. Self control, little girl. We'll keep working on it!
After all..."I'm a lover, not a fighter!"
Observations over the last 6 weeks:
Lola has great name recognition. I've never worked much on an attention word, but have always reinforced "checking in" (eye contact w/o prompting) and response to her name.
She also has a pretty darn good Leave It. I'll continue to use this on walks when she hears a dog bark 10 blocks away.
Walk Away is great!! I love this & so does Lola. Note to self to keep bringing treats on walks & practice, practice, practice.
We had a chance to work on a little bit of everything leaving class tonight. A volunteer was trying to get a beautiful, bold brindle Pitbull back into the building while all of us Feisty Fidos were leaving. We walked out the front door, the Pit rounded the corner and I said "Lola, Walk Away" and we made a quick left into the grass. One Woof! and she turned her attention to me. I talked to her the whole way to the car & she kept looking back & forth...him then me, him then me...but she managed to control herself and didn't bark again. Lots of dogs were in the parking lot and I did a big Find It (threw a handful of treats into the backseat) and we drove away w/o incident. Even after the treats were gone & we passes a yippee JRT...I said Leave It and she looked at me for a treat (which I surprisingly had!) and she didn't bark. I LOVE progress!!!
Wednesday, December 13, 2006
Sherman is begging for some more MooTubes (better contact Mindy...we're running low!)
Lola would love some marrow bones....
Or Chicken Feet...
Penny has pig ears on her list...but what she'd really love is to be able to enjoy a good chewie by herself!
Tuesday, December 12, 2006
5. Owners who allow their dogs to jump all over people in public insisting "He's really friendly!". My dogs have to sit while people walk past them & can say hello if the stranger is interested in meeting them. A lot of people are afraid of dogs. Now when you come to my house...that's a whole other story! Enter at your own risk!
4. Owners who allow their kids to tease, taunt & otherwise abuse ("petting" aka smacking, pulling tails, ears, fur, throwing stuff at, trying to ride like a horse etc) the family dog then punish the dog when it growls at the kid. Punish the kid!
3. Owners who leave their dogs outside & allow them to bark, and bark, and bark...non-stop for hours on end. This is particuarly annoying when done at 6:30 am on a Saturday.
2. Owners who allow their dogs to run off leash & have no control over them. So when I say, "Call your dog, my dogs are NOT friendly"...typicallythe dog ignores the owner, runs right up to them, gets in their face and I have to try to keep my dogs from completely freaking out (Sherman & Penny have major personal space issues). I really hate that.
and my #1, with out a doubt, biggest Pet Peeve of Other Dog owners
1. People who do not clean up after their dogs!
This was all prompted by the large elephant-sized mound of doggie doo that someone left on the sidewalk in front of our house. What is wrong with people? It's unsanitary, it's gross & worst of all, it's inconsiderate. If I can manage to clean up after 3 dogs, why can't my neighbors clean up after their one? I take such issue with this and am constantly cleaning up after other people's dogs.
And for the life of me...I can't figure out why I'm so grossed out cleaning up other dogs poop, but have no problem cleaning up after my own dogs.
Monday, December 11, 2006
Penny & I graduated from Marsha's Dynamic Dogs class. We had class at the shelter and did a couple fun contests. There were only 3 dog in class, but Cowboy (Penny's ACD boyfriend) and Penny are at about the same level in training. The 3rd was a ShepX from Lola's puppy class who was in class for some exposure. Cowboy won the Sit Stay contest and he & Penny tied the SitDownStand contest (both at 3 seconds). But Marsha raised the stakes and we had a show down with Sit Down Sit Down Stand. Penny won clocking in at 5 seconds!
We also did a 3 minute supervised separation and even though Penny loves Marsha, she was stressed when I left. I snuck around the room & watched from behind (there are big glass windows) and she was stiff as a board. When we came back in the room we had to call our dog to us and they had to run between the other 2 dogs practicing SitStays. When I said "Penny, Come", it was like her feet just skimmed the ground. I've never seen her do a Recall that fast. She actually slid into a Sit at my feet. It was very cute.
Sunday, December 10, 2006
Being relatively new to the Dog Blog world, there apparently is some pretty fun stuff that goes on. Our blogging buddy Pappy has tagged us & given us a challenge...we love a challenge. Name 6 weird things about the Dogs and/or me. Well, we know who the weird one is on Jackman Ave...and it ain't the dogs!
OK Pappy...we accept your challenge.
1. Penny - The weirdest thing she does is what we refer to as the Snarl & Snort. When she's happy to see us (when we come home, when we wake up in the morning) she starts the Penny wiggle dance where she kidney beans around us snorting & snarling with all of her teeth bared.
2. Sherman - My chubby boy loves to groan. It's somewhere between a growl and a moan and to someone who doesn't know Shermie, it would appear that he is vicious. When he's lounging (which is, um, pretty much all the time) and you approach him to give him some rubs, he lets out a very loud growl and rolls onto his back. Then I groan at him "Errr" and he groans back "ERRR" and I groan "Er" and he groans "EEEERRRRRRRRR!". This generally goes on for a while.
3. Lola - makes a sound like a wounded baboon when playing with Penny. It's totally primal.
4. Penny & Lola - when we come home from work, both of the girls pick up what ever toy/bone/kong is next to them and we play Show Me What You Have. They love this game. Scott & I act like we've never seen the grunting hedgehog and say "Penny, what do you have???" "Lola, what do you have???" and they dance around as if they've just caught dinner.
5. Sherman will share Penny's left overs with Lola. She sticks her big fat head right next to his when he's cleaning up her bowl & he never growls or tries to bite her. I think this is the only time she can be around him without him growling or trying to bite her.
6. Sherman's pooping habits. He has to push his butt up against something...a pole, a bush, the side of a building, or my personal favorite, a chain link fence. Lot's of fun to try to figure out how I'm gonna get inside the fence to retreive the present he squirted into the neighbor's yard.
And I'll add one weird thing about me.
I eat spaghetti for breakfast (or soup, or sandwiches, or pizza...any thing but cereal. Bleh!)
We're gonna tag our good buddies Boo, Lola & Beasley.
[The rules...Each player of this game starts with the "6 Weird Things about You"-- or your dogs. People who get tagged need to write a blog of their own 6 weird things as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose people to be tagged and list their names. Don't forget to leave a comment that says 'you are tagged' in their blog.]
Saturday, December 09, 2006
Friday, December 08, 2006
"Fun? Does this look like fun to you? Two letters...O & K...just say 'em fer cryinoutloud!"
"We're looking at you already! What kinda power trip are you on Woman???"
I put these shots on the blog as proof that I do not starve them. Nor do I torture them by showing them their food & then eating it myself.
I swear...they eat very well!
Thursday, December 07, 2006
Penny is a fire dog. She loves to park herself right in front of the screen & warm her skinny self. I've gotten down on the floor with her to snuggle in front of the fire & have to move w/in 10 seconds. It's HOT!!!
She stays there forever!
In the meantime, Lola managed to cut her face on something. She is definately MY dog! It was most likely from running around in the snow outside. It makes her crazy!
Wednesday, December 06, 2006
"Don't you touch my loveseat!!"
So, as ghetto as it may be, the loveseat may stay in the dining room. Actually, exactly where it is in that picture. It's not really in the way and it'll keep her off the new stuff. We may end up moving it to the bedroom. It would fit nicely in there and would keep her off our bed!
Sherman prefers the ottoman.
And Lola just bounces from one piece of furniture to another. She's like a little monkey!
Tuesday, December 05, 2006
The good people at Camp Bow Wow were doing Xmas photo shoots and I originally signed up thinking I'd take all 3 for a professional picture. I cancelled the shoot but they took Lola's picture anyway. I am now kicking myself for not keeping our appointment.
Monday, December 04, 2006