Monday, April 16, 2007

How'd you get YOUR name????

The more DWBs I visit...the more creative the Dog names. A while back, I posted about how many names my dogs actually have (and they have LOTS!). But I don't think I got into how they got their name.

Sherman - ever see the Nutty Professor? The Eddie Murphy one. There's a scene where Sherman Klump's Mom is talking about him and she says "Sherman, Sherman, Sherman!" while clapping her hands and I thought it was hilarious. You only will if you've seen the movie. I thought the name was really funny & I knew back in 1996 that my first boy dog would be Sherman.

When we adopted Sherm from the Butler Co. Humane Society, he was just a number. They hadn't given him a name and after we fell in love with him, signed all of the paperwork and made our way to the car...Scott said to me "I guess this is Sherman".

He could go by no other name!

Penny - The woman we adopted Penny from had named her at the shelter. She said she was the color of a penny. To be honest, I didn't love the name. I wanted to call her Sophie or Sallie. Something that sounded better with Sherman. But Scott liked it and as he was less than thrilled about getting a second dog, I figured he should have some say in the whole process.

So Penny she is.

Lola - After Madonna had Lourdes and started calling her Lola, a bunch of celebs jumped on the bandwagon. A bunch of Lolas started popping up all over Hollywood. I knew this little Boxer puppy would be a Diva dog & deserved a Diva name. Beyonce was too long so I stole Madonna's baby name & picked Lola.

Scott wanted to name her Spot.


The Dogs of Jackman Ave - well, that's obvious!


So how did your dog get its name? Feel free to "refer to Blog" if it's a long story!

17 comments:

Boo Casanova said...

i got my name after mom's fav. actor, jake gyllenhaal's dog. after a look at his dog, i would say my casanova status is still intact. lol

wet wet licks

Boo

Deanna said...

My name at the rescue was Jedi, but that was not my real name. I am Cubby, the littlest and cutest Mouseketeer (since I am little and cute). We are also Cubs fans!

Oscar's mummy and daddy said...

My previous owners named me Oscar, & since I already responded to that name, mum & dad decided not to confuse me & change it. It is kind of common round my neighbourhood though as nearly every other boy dog we meet is called Oscar too!

Licks
Oscar x

Simba and Jazzi said...

I was named after the lion king. Because monks believed that Lhasas were reincarnated lions .

Simba xx

Balboa said...

well, my name's Balboa. Wanna take a guess. My Italian daddy said it either had to be Vito or Balboa, since Vito was taken by a friend's doggy, Balboa it was. Mommy like the name too. (My original name was Ulyses, thank god they changed it)

Frenchie Kisses,
Balboa

wally said...

Good idea for bloggin'! We will write a blog about the origins of our names rather than taking up your comment space.

My ma has new names all ready which makes me nervous--she's always coveting MORE DOGS.

wally.

Peanut said...

Oh I'm going to make mom post about how we came to have our names.

Ruby Bleu said...

My mom got my name from a song...not very original I know, but I think it fits me well...that and my nickname "princess mudpuddle" since I like to play in the mud a lot.

Thanks for visiting my blog...
Lots of Licks, Ruby

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

ooooh I do not know how I got my name, because I was six months old when Jeannie chose me from the Rescue Home (or the Slammer as the Army of Four call it!!).

And I was alredy called Marvin apparently. Jeannie did not like the name at first, and was going to change it to Spike......(yuk!), then it was going to me Wolfie, oh dog, what a mistake that would have been.

In the end, so many people liked my name, she decided to keep it, and now she loves my name (and me, of course!)

Jeannie likes Marvin Gaye's music and she used to quite like Lee Marvin, and I was "born under a Wandering Star", so it has all worked out very well I guess.

Love and very longwinded commentss, from Marvin xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FleasGang said...

Simon as in "simon the pieman" of course. But we also call him "chunk" from the portly kid in the movie "The Goonies".

Scarlett is a little southern belle so it just seemed natural. She also goes by "Bartlett Pear" because she's as cute as a pear.

Shelly's name was originally "Nutmeg". Yuck. So we immediately changed that. "Shelly" just seemed to go good with Simon and Scarlett!

Tadpole said...

Everyone has a "story" or a reason behind their names. My girl just said the first thing that came out of her mouth: Tadpole Pomagranate. She's completely strange.

Sophie Brador said...

Well, Sophie is just Sophie. She was almost a Lucy, but somehow, Sophie made more since for her. Her last name, Brador, is actually the less pretentious version of her full name, Sophina la Brador. She only used that when she's working on a foreign film. When she's just hanging around the house, she's content with Sophie, or chicken, or twinky.

Fu Fu said...

Hey Doggies, you guys have nice names. I'm named after a Taiwan comedian who is in a pop group. See here

http://fubearbear.blogspot.com/search?q=%E7%8E%8B%E4%BB%81%E7%94%AB

~ fufu

Texas's Mum said...

Hey Doggies,
Well my mum and dad got me from
an RSPCA shelter and they said
Texas suited me so well
they did not want change it and Im happy they didn't as I love it.

Love and Licks
Texas (and his humans).

The Brat Pack said...

Great idea, we'll post about our names too.

Um, we don't understand about Scott being less than thrilled about another dog. Maybe he needs counseling. ;)

The Brat Pack

Sparky said...

Did you know that I went without a real name for 1 whole month! My mama and pop just could not agree on one that fit me...pop wanted "Bruiser" and mama wanted "Wilbur" (cause I have a curky tail and snort like a pig!). They really wanted something manly - and went back to the drawing board...and came up with Spartacus! Sparky for short.

Joe Stains said...

Tom got Joey as an 8 week old puppy when his ex brought him home from the pet store (booo) and at first he called him Mutey becaues he looked like a mutant (ha) but then one day he just looked at him and thought "Joey"

Tanner is a rescue, we thought of changing his name to 'stan', but of course now he is just Doofus Face :)